The consortium also developed a 24/7 Network Operations Centre (NOC) with a new suite of Operational Support System software to monitor the network.
In subsequent phases, GeneSYS will operate and maintain the network for eight years and then hand back the system to the Highways Agency (HA), providing support services for an additional two years.
Project scope included:
- Upgrading HA's existing communications network infrastructure to a state-of-the-art Internet Protocol (IP) network
- Installing equipment at more than 150 sites throughout England
- Installing ducted fiber on more than 110 km of motorway
- Converting and migrating more than 15,000 services onto the new network
- Establishing a 24/7 NOC with a 20-person staff supported by network managers and nine operational systems