Advanced controls are a proven cost effective solution for process plants. Although advanced controls are often planned after plant start-up, once detail plant operating performance parameters are available, Fluor’s Clients benefit from planning the approach to advanced controls in the project design phase. Even if the APC software is not installed until after successful start-up and initial operation, it is important to anticipate the hardware necessary for its implementation and include it in the basic design. This approach can result in a lower life-cycle cost, smoother start-up and capture immediate benefits after startup. Key benefits of this approach include:
1. Lay out a master plan infrastructure for the control and information system that would support current and future automation quickly, seamlessly and effortlessly.
2. Ensure that equipment and instrumentation are properly designed and specified to enable operating the plant in the most profitable manner.
3. Models generated during the design can be leveraged for inferential property prediction and control of key variables.
4. First principal simulation used during design can have added value in developing training simulator and checkout of the control system during acceptance testing and pre-commissioning.
5. Provide an unbiased industry proven advanced control solution to the Client.