Fluor provides guidance in clear language that reduces the chance of multiple interpretations. This includes the following, from the Fluor Code of Business and Conduct and Ethics:
No person or document can tell you what is right or wrong in every business situation. If you are ever in doubt, ask yourself:
- Is this legal? Have I checked with the company's subject matter expert?
- Would it conflict with any of the Fluor's core values: safety, integrity, teamwork or excellence?
- Am I involving the right people?
- How would I feel telling my family or children about my decision?
- If I choose to act on this situation, would my decision by fair?
- How would I feel reading about my choice in a newspaper, or explaining my choice to a judge or jury?
- If you know it's wrong, don't do it.
- If in doubt, ASK.
- Keep asking until you get an answer.
- Don't ignore what you believe to be illegal or unethical conduct.
- Set an example for others.
- Take responsibility by DOING THE RIGHT THING. For managers, this includes taking responsibility for having the proper and necessary policies, procedures and an environment to DO THE RIGHT THING.