Fluor is leading the FDH JV, partnering with Daewoo Construction and Engineering and Hyundai Heavy Industries. This JV is also executing the brownfield and greenfield KNPC Clean Fuels MAB2 project at the nearby KNPC Mina Abdullah refinery in Kuwait. FDH JB provided KNPC with the most competitive lump sum EPC offer for a combination of two packages for the Al-Zour project, thus securing the contract.
These packages (#2 and #3) include scope and technology similar to the greenfield MAB2 project, however, of larger capacity and/or with more (parallel) trains. The scope includes process units, utilities and infrastructure for the new Al-Zour Refinery project.
The contract was signed October 2015 and completion of the facility to KNPC is planned for May 2019. FDH JV will lead the project from the Fluor Amsterdam office, supported by offices in New Delhi, Al-Khobar, Kuwait, Houston and Seoul. Sourcing of materials will be global, however, with a preferential treatment to local suppliers and subcontractors. There will be large scale off-site pipe fabrication and a partial modular execution strategy with close to 200 modules. Peak labor at the site in Kuwait is expected to be 17,000 people.
Realization of the entire Al-Zour Refinery has been divided by KNPC into five discrete Packages as follows:
- Package 1 – Main Process Units (by others)
- Package 2 Support Process Units – Includes Hydrogen Recovery Unit (HR), Hydrogen Compression Unit (HC), Hydrogen Production Units (HPU), Sour Water Stripper Unit (SWS), Amine Regeneration Unit (ARU), Sulfur Recovery Units (SRU) and Tail Gas Treating Unit (TGTU), Flare, Sulfur Pelletizing / Conveying, Acid Gas Flare, Sulfur Storage Area
- Package 3 Utilities and Offsites – Includes Steam Generation Unit, Air Systems, Water Systems, Cooling Water Unit, EICS & ICSS, HV Substations, Interconnecting Pipe Rack, Wastewater Treating, and a large size campus area with Administration Building, Training Center, Laboratory, Mosque, HSE/Clinic/Fire-brigade, Central Control Room, Supermarket and dozens of refinery support buildings for security, operations and maintenance
- Package 4 – Tank Farm (by others)
- Package 5 – Marine and Export Facilities (by others)